- 161 Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius dies and is succeeded by co-Emperors Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus, an unprecedented political arrangement in the Roman Empire.
- 1530 King Henry VIII's divorce request is denied by the Pope. Henry then declares that he, not the Pope, is supreme head of England's church
- 1876 Alexander Graham Bell patents the telephone
- 1912 Roald Amundsen announces discovery of the South Pole
- 1936 Hitler breaks Treaty of Versailles, sends troops to Rhineland
1st jazz record record released on a 78 by Original Dixieland Jass Band for the Victor Talking Machine Company ("Dixie Jazz Band One Step," one side "Livery Stable Blues" other)
On March 7, 1917