- 141 BC Liu Che, posthumously known as Emperor Wu of Han, assumes the throne of the Han Dynasty in China and rules for 54 years
- 1522 Martin Luther begins preaching his "Invocavit Sermons" in the German city of Wittenberg, reminding citizens to trust God's word rather than violence and thus helping bring to a close the revolutionary stage of the Reformation
- 1776 Publication of the influential economics book "The Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith
- 1918 Russian Bolshevik Party becomes the Communist Party
- 1933 US Congress is called into special session by FDR, beginning its "100 days"
- 1961 Soviet flight Sputnik 9 carries and returns from orbit a dog named Chernushka (Blackie), frogs and a guinea pig
Barbie makes her debut at the American Toy Fair in New York. Over a billion have been sold worldwide since.
On March 9, 1959