- 1189 Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa and 100,000 crusaders depart Regensburg for the Third Crusade
- 1751 1st hospital founded (Pennsylvania Hospital) in the 13 Colonies in America
- 1924 Mercedes-Benz is formed by Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz, merging the two companies
- 1960 1st contraceptive pill is made available for sale
- 1995 In New York City, more than 170 countries decide to extend the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty indefinitely and without conditions.
- 2015 India's poulation officially reaches 1 billion - Astha Arora named India's billionth baby
Waltz introduced into English ballrooms. Some observers consider it disgusting and immoral.
On May 11, 1812