- 1291 Mamluk Sultan Al-Ashraf Khalil and his forces take the last Christian stronghold of Acre
- 1804 Napoleon Bonaparte proclaimed Emperor of France by the French Senate
- 1896 Khodynka Tragedy: A mass panic on Khodynka Field, Moscow, during the festivities of the coronation of Russian Tsar Nicholas II, results in the deaths of 1,389 people
- 1974 India becomes the sixth nation to explode an atomic bomb
- 2009 Sri Lankan Civil War: The LTTE are defeated by the Sri Lankan government, ending almost 26 years of fighting between the two sides.
"Dracula", by Irish author Bram Stoker is published by Archibald Constable and Company in London
On May 18, 1897