- 1596 England, France & Netherlands sign Drievoudig Covenant against Spain
- 1896 Dow Jones begins an index of 12 industrial stocks (closing is 40.94)
- 1908 At Masjed Soleyman (مسجد سليمان) in southwest Persia, the first major commercial oil strike in the Middle East is made, rights acquired by the United Kingdom
- 1927 Henry Ford and the Ford Motor Company produce the last (and 15th million) Model T Ford / Tin Lizzie
- 1948 South Africa elects a nationalist government under D. F. Malan with an apartheid policy
- 2004 The United States Army veteran Terry Nichols is found guilty of 161 state murder charges for helping carry out the Oklahoma City bombing.
San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge opens
On May 26, 1937