- 1679 Habeaus Corpus Act (strengthening person's right to challenge unlawful arrest & imprisonment) passes in England
- 1703 Saint Petersburg (Leningrad) founded by Russian Tsar Peter the Great
- 1940 British and Allied forces begin the evacuation of Dunkirk (Operation Dynamo) during WWII
- 1999 The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia indicts Slobodan Milošević and four others for war crimes and crimes against humanity committed in Kosovo
- 2006 Earthquake strikes Java, Indonesia at 5:53:58 AM local time (22:53:58 UTC May 26) devastating Bantul and the city of Yogyakarta, killing over 6,600 people
The 1,046-foot (319-meter) Chrysler Building in New York City, the tallest man-made structure at the time, opens to the public.
On May 27, 1930