- 1431 Hundred Years' War: in Rouen, France, 19-year-old Joan of Arc is burned at the stake by an English-dominated tribunal.
- 1539 Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto discovers Florida
- 1848 Mexico ratifies treaty giving US; New Mexico, California & parts of Nevada, Utah, Arizona & Colorado in return for $15 million
- 1868 'Decoration Day', later called Memorial Day, first observed in Northern US states
- 1896 1st car accident occurs, Henry Wells hits a cyclist in NYC
- 1913 New country of Albania, forms
Andrew Jackson kills Charles Dickinson in a duel after Dickinson had accused Jackson's wife of bigamy.
On May 30, 1806