- 1279 BC Rameses II (The Great) (19th dynasty) becomes Pharaoh of Ancient Egypt.
- 1578 Martin Frobisher sails from Harwich, England, to Frobisher Bay, Canada, eventually to mine fools gold, used to pave streets in London.
- 1910 Union of South Africa declares its independence from the United Kingdom
- 1916 Battle of Jutland (Skagerrak): naval battle between British Grand Fleet and German High Seas Fleet: over 8,500 die in this inconclusive slaughter - although the German fleet never put to sea again.
- 1935 7.7 magnitude earthquake hits Quetta in Balochistan, British Raj (Pakistan) killing approx 50,000
- 1947 Communists seize power in Hungary
- 2008 Usain Bolt breaks the world record in the 100m sprint, with a wind-legal (+1.7m/s) 9.72 seconds.
Citing poor eyesight, Samuel Pepys records the last event in his diary.
On May 31, 1669