- 1471 Wars of the Roses: Battle of Tewkesbury - final battle between Lancaster and York sees the Prince of Wales, Edward of Westminster killed and King Edward IV restored to his crown thus extinguishing the Lancastrian of Plantagenet line
- 1814 King Ferdinand VII of Spain signs the Decree of the 4th of May, returning Spain to absolutism.
- 1904 Construction begins by the United States on the Panama Canal.
- 1959 First Grammy Awards: Perry Como & Ella Fitzgerald win
- 1979 Margaret Thatcher becomes the first woman to be elected Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
The Don't Make A Wave Committee, a fledgling environmental organization founded in Canada in 1971, officially changes its name to "Greenpeace Foundation".
On May 4th, 1972