- 1471 Battle of Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, the final battle between the Houses of Lancaster and York: the Prince of Wales, Edward of Westminster, killed and King Edward IV restored to his throne, restoring political stability to England until his death in 1483.
- 1814 King Ferdinand VII of Spain signs the Decree of the 4th of May, returning Spain to absolutism.
- 1904 Construction begins by the United States on the Panama Canal.
- 1959 First Grammy Awards: Perry Como & Ella Fitzgerald win
- 1979 Margaret Thatcher becomes the first woman to be elected Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
"The Don't Make A Wave Committee," a fledgling environmental organization founded in Canada in 1971, officially changes its name to the "Greenpeace Foundation"
On May 4, 1972