- 1260 Kublai Khan, grandson of Genghis Khan, becomes ruler of the Mongol Empire.
- 1891 Music Hall (Carnegie Hall) opens in New York, Tchaikovsky is guest conductor
- 1941 Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie returns to Addis Ababa
- 1955 West Germany is granted full sovereignty by its three occupying powers
- 1965 First large-scale US Army ground units arrive in South Vietnam
- 1980 Siege at Iranian Embassy in London ends as the SAS and police storm the building
First modern perfume, Chanel No. 5, by fashion designer Coco Chanel released
On May 5, 1941