- 1260 Kublai Khan, grandson of Genghis Khan, becomes ruler of the Mongol Empire.
- 1891 Music Hall (Carnegie Hall) opens in New York, Tchaikovsky is guest conductor
- 1941 Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie returns to Addis Ababa
- 1955 West Germany is granted full sovereignty by its three occupying powers
- 1965 First large-scale US Army ground units arrive in South Vietnam
- 1980 Siege at Iranian Embassy in London ends as the SAS and police storm the building
First modern perfume, Chanel No. 5, released
On May 5, 1941