- 1626 Dutch colonist Peter Minuit buys Manhattan Island from local Indians for 60 guilders worth of trinkets
- 1840 World's first postage stamp, the Penny Black, is issued in Great Britain
- 1861 Jefferson Davis approves a bill declaring War between the Union & the Confederacy
- 1889 Exposition Universelle (World Fair) opens in Paris with the completed Eiffel Tower
- 1890 Mormon Church renounces polygamy [1006-Truth Restored (Morman pub)]
- 1941 Joseph Stalin became Premier of Russia
During a trip to Syria, Pope John Paul II becomes the first pope to enter a mosque.
On May 6, 2001