- 1429 English siege of Orleans broken by Joan of Arc and the French army
- 1912 Columbia University approves plans for awarding the Pulitzer Prize in several categories, after established by Joseph Pulitzer
- 1915 RMS Lusitania sunk by German submarine off the southern coast of Ireland; 1198 lives lost
- 1939 Germany and Italy announce an alliance known as the Rome-Berlin Axis
- 1945 World War II: Unconditional German surrender to the Allies signed by General Alfred Jodl at Rheims
- 1952 The concept of the integrated circuit, the basis for all modern computers, is first published by Geoffrey Dummer
Mercedes-Benz buys Chrysler for $40 billion USD and forms DaimlerChrysler in the largest industrial merger in history.
On May 7, 1998