- 1755 Lisbon earthquake kills more than 50,000
- 1814 Congress of Vienna opens to re-draw the European political map after the defeat of France, in the Napoleonic Wars.
- 1894 Vaccine for diphtheria announced by Dr Roux of Paris
- 1916 Paul Miliukov delivers in the State Duma the famous "stupidity or treason" speech, precipitating the downfall of the Boris Stürmer government.
- 2012 Scientists detect evidence of light from the universe's first stars, predicted to have formed 500 million years after the big bang
First published reference to poker (as Mississippi riverboat game)
On November 1, 1834