- 1875 Verney Cameroon reaches Benguela Angola, from Africa's east coast
- 1917 Balfour Declaration proclaims support for a Jewish state in Palestine
- 1930 Ras (euqiv. Duke) Tafari Makonnen is crowned Haile Selassie I, 225th emperor of Solmonic Dynasty in Ethiopia
- 1960 Mary Leakey and her team discover the first fossils of Homo habilis, an early human ancestor, at Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania. Homo habilis is thought to be one of the earliest species to make stone tools and lived between 1.4 and 2.3 million years ago.
- 1966 The Cuban Adjustment Act enters force, allowing 123,000 Cubans the opportunity to apply for permanent residence in the United States.
The Morris worm, the first internet-distributed computer worm to gain significant mainstream media attention, is launched from MIT.
On November 2nd, 1988