- 1875 Verney Cameroon reaches Benguela in Angola, from Africa's east coast, 1st European to cross equatorial Africa
- 1917 Balfour Declaration proclaims support for a Jewish state in Palestine
- 1930 Ras Tafari Makonnen is crowned Haile Selassie I, 225th Emperor of Ethopian Solmonic Dynasty
- 1960 Mary Leakey and her team discover 1st fossils of Homo habilis, an early human ancestor, at Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania. Homo habilis one of the earliest species to make stone tools, lived between 1.4 and 2.3 million years ago.
- 1966 The Cuban Adjustment Act comes into force, allowing 123,000 Cubans opportunity to apply for permanent residence in the US
The Morris worm, first internet-distributed computer worm to gain mainstream media attention launched from MIT
On November 2, 1988