- 380 Theodosius I makes his adventus, or first formal entry, into Constantinople
- 1639 1st observation of transit of Venus by Jeremiah Horrocks and William Crabtree - helped establish size of the Solar System
- 1642 Dutch explorer Abel Tasman discovers Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania)
- 1859 English naturalist Charles Darwin publishes "On the Origin of Species"
- 1950 UN troops begin an assault intending to end Korean War by Christmas
- 1954 France sends 20,000 soldiers to Algeria
American inventor Joseph Glidden patents barbed wire
On November 24, 1874