- 644 Umar ibn al-Khattab, the second Muslim caliph, is killed by a Persian slave in Medina.
- 1534 English parliament accepts Act of Supremacy: Henry VIII becomes Head of Church of England
- 1620 Great Patent granted to Plymouth Colony
- 1640 English Long Parliament forms
- 1906 SOS adopted as international distress signal by 2nd Radiotelegraphic Convention
- 1957 USSR launches Sputnik 2 with a dog (Laika), 1st animal in orbit
The Times of India, the world's largest circulated English language daily broadsheet newspaper is founded as The Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce.
On November 3, 1838