- 1492 Christopher Columbus learns of maize (corn) from Indians of Cuba
- 1556 Battle at Panipat: Mogollegers beat hindu leader Hemu
- 1605 Gunpowder Plot; attempt to blow up King James I while he opened Parliament. Plot discovered and Guy Fawkes caught and tortured. He and seven others were later executed
- 1937 Hitler informs his military leaders in a secret meeting of his intentions of going to war
- 1956 Britain & France land forces in Egypt in reaction to seizure of Suez Canal
- 1979 Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini declares US "The Great Satan"
Publication of the Catholicon in Treguier (Brittany). This Breton-French-Latin dictionary was written in 1464 by Jehan Lagadeuc. It is the first Breton dictionary as well as the first French dictionary.
On November 5, 1499