- 1492 Christopher Columbus learns of maize (corn) from Indians of Cuba
- 1556 Battle at Panipat: Mogollegers beat hindu leader Hemu
- 1605 Gunpowder Plot; attempt to blow up King James I as he opened British Parliament. Plot discovered, Guy Fawkes caught and tortured. He and seven others later executed
- 1937 Adolf Hitler informs his military leaders in a secret meeting of his intentions of going to war
- 1956 Britain & France land forces in Egypt in reaction to Egypt nationalizing the Suez Canal
- 1979 Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini declares US "The Great Satan"
Publication of the Catholicon in Treguier (Brittany). Breton-French-Latin dictionary written in 1464 by Jehan Lagadeuc was first Breton and French dictionary
On November 5, 1499