- 1492 Christopher Columbus learns of maize (corn) from Indians of Cuba
- 1556 Battle at Panipat: Mogollegers beat hindu leader Hemu
- 1605 Gunpowder Plot: Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes attempts to blow up King James I and the British Parliament. The plot was discovered, Guy Fawkes caught, tortured and later executed along with seven others. Celebrated ever since as Guy Fawkes Day, where his effigy is traditionally burned on a bonfire, accompanied by fireworks.
- 1937 Adolf Hitler informs his military leaders in a secret meeting of his intentions of going to war
- 1956 Britain & France land forces in Egypt in reaction to Egypt nationalizing the Suez Canal
- 1979 Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini declares US "The Great Satan"
Publication of the Catholicon in Treguier (Brittany). Breton-French-Latin dictionary written in 1464 by Jehan Lagadeuc was first Breton and French dictionary
On November 5, 1499