- 1492 Christopher Columbus learns of maize (corn) from Indians of Cuba
- 1556 Battle at Panipat: Mogollegers beat hindu leader Hemu
- 1605 Gunpowder Plot: Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes attempts to blow up King James I and the British Parliament. Plot discovered, Guy Fawkes caught, tortured and later executed along with seven others. Celebrated ever since as Guy Fawkes Day, where his effigy is traditionally burned on a bonfire, accompanied by fireworks.
- 1937 Adolf Hitler informs his military leaders in a secret meeting of his intentions of going to war
- 1956 Britain and France land airborne forces at Port Said in Egypt, escalating the Suez Crisis
- 1979 Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini declares US "The Great Satan"
Parker Brothers launches game of Monopoly
On November 5, 1935
Louisa Woosley first women to be ordained as a minister in any Presbyterian denomination (US Cumberland Presbyterian Church).
On November 5, 1889