- 1494 Family de' Medici become rulers of Florence
- 1799 Napoleon Bonaparte becomes dictator (1st consul) of France
- 1980 Iraqi President Saddam Hussein declares holy war against Iran
- 1994 The chemical element Darmstadtium is discovered.
- 1998 Brokerage houses are ordered to pay 1.03 billion USD to cheated NASDAQ investors to compensate for their price-fixing. This is the largest civil settlement in United States history.
Gary Kasparov becomes the youngest ever world chess champion aged 22
On November 9, 1985