- 54 Nero succeeds Claudius as Roman Emperor
- 1307 French King Philip IV has Grand Master Jacques de Molay and Knights Templar arrested and charged of idolatry and corruption
- 1884 Greenwich in London established as the universal time meridian of longitude
- 1943 Italy declares war on former Axis partner Germany
- 1944 US 1st army begins battle of Aachen, first German city captured during WWII
- 2010 The 2010 Copiapó mining accident in Copiapó, Chile comes to an end as all 33 miners arrive at the surface after surviving a record 69 days underground.
First electron micrograph of an Ebola viral particle obtained by Dr. F.A. Murphy, working at the C.D.C.
On October 13, 1976