- 1187 Sultan Saladin captures Jerusalem from Crusaders
- 1492 King Henry VII of England invades France
- 1789 George Washington transmits the proposed Constitutional amendments (The United States Bill of Rights) to the States for ratification.
- 1928 The "Prelature of the Holy Cross and the Work of God", commonly known as Opus Dei, was founded by Saint Josemaría Escrivá.
- 1944 Nazis crush Warsaw Uprising killing 250,000 people
- 2007 President Roh Moo-hyun of South Korea walks across the Military Demarcation Line into North Korea on his way to the second Inter-Korean Summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Il.
Beatrix Potter's "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" is published by Frederick Warne & Co. in London.
On October 2nd, 1902