- 1633 Battle of Liaoluo Bay: Dutch East India Company defeated by Chinese Ming naval forces in southern Fujian sea
- 1721 Tsar Peter the Great becomes "All-Russian Imperator"
- 1879 Thomas Edison perfects carbonized cotton filament light bulb
- 1884 International Meridian Conference in Washington, D.C. adopts Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) worldwide, creating 24 international time zones with longitude zero at the Greenwich meridian
- 1907 Panic of 1907: A run on Knickerbocker Trust Company stock leads to US wide run on banks
- 1962 US President John F. Kennedy imposes naval blockade on Cuba, beginning the missile crisis
World's first car dealer opens in London
On October 22, 1897