- 1260 Saif ad-Din Qutuz, third Mamluk sultan of Egypt, is assassinated by Baibars, by a fellow Mamluk leader, who seizes power for himself.
- 1648 Treaty of Westphalia ends The Thirty Year's War in the Holy Roman Empire; Switzerland's independence recognized
- 1857 World's first soccer club, Sheffield F C, founded in Yorkshire, England
- 1929 "Black Thursday", start of stock market crash, Dow Jones down 12.8%
- 1962 Cuban missile crisis: US blockade of Cuba begins
- 2008 "Bloody Friday" saw many of the world's stock exchanges experienced the worst declines in their history, with drops of around 10% in most indices.
Gangster Al Capone is sentenced to 11 years for tax evasion
On October 24, 1931