- 1492 Christopher Columbus discovers Cuba and claims it for Spain
- 1538 The first university in the New World, the Universidad Santo Tomás de Aquino, is established on Hispaniola
- 1746 Peruvian cities of Lima & Callao demolished by earthquake, 18,000 die
- 1904 St Louis police try a new investigation method - fingerprints
- 1919 Volstead Act passed by US Congress, establishing prohibition, despite President Wilson's veto
- 1924 M.de Bruin, a miner, discovers an infant fossil skull the "Taung child" in a lime quarry in Taung, South Africa. Paleoanthropologist Raymond Dart identifies fossil as new hominin species Australopithecus africanus.
Statue of Liberty dedicated by US President Grover Cleveland, celebrated by first confetti (ticker tape) parade in New York City
On October 28, 1886