- 1927 "Jazz Singer," 1st movie with a sound track, premieres (NYC)
- 1948 The 1948 Ashgabat earthquake kills 100,000 in the Turkmen Soviet Socialist Republic.
- 1948 Paleoanthropologist Mary Leakey finds the first partial fossil skull of Proconsul africanus, an ancestor of apes and humans on Rusinga Island, Kenya.
- 1951 Stalin proclaims USSR has atom bomb
- 1956 Dr Albert Sabin discovers oral polio vaccine
- 1995 51 Pegasi was discovered to be the first major star apart from the Sun to have a planet (and extrasolar planet) orbiting around it.
Americans & French begin siege of Cornwallis at Yorktown; last battle of American Revolutionary War
On October 6th, 1781