- 1715 King Louis XIV of France dies after a reign of 72 years—the longest of any major European monarch.
- 1939 World War II starts as Germany invades Poland by attacking the Free City of Danzig
- 1941 Jews living in Germany are required to wear a yellow star of David
- 1945 V-J Day, formal surrender of Japan aboard USS Missouri marks the end of WW II (US date, 2nd September in Japan)
- 1969 Colonel Muammar Gaddafi deposes King Idris in the Libyan revolution
UN announces Earth's population has hit 3 billion
On September 1, 1962