- 1776 George Washington asks for a spy volunteer, Nathan Hale volunteers
- 1894 London taxi driver George Smith is first fined for drunk driving
- 1977 Hamida Djandoubi, convicted for torture and murder, is the last person to be executed by Guillotine in France.
- 1993 Israel & PLO sign joint recognition statements
- 2008 The Large Hadron Collider at CERN, described as the biggest scientific experiment in the history of mankind is powered up in Geneva, Switzerland.
Mike the Headless Chicken is decapitated in Fruita, Colorado; he survives for another 18 months before choking to death.
On September 10th, 1945