- 1297 Battle at Stirling Bridge, Scottish rebel William Wallace beats English
- 1609 Expulsion order announced against the Moriscos of Valencia; beginning of the expulsion of all Spain's Moriscos
- 1697 Battle of Zenta: forces of Prince Eugen of Savoye defeat the Turks, ending Ottoman control of large parts of Central Europe
- 1997 After a nationwide referendum, Scotland votes to establish a devolved parliament, within the United Kingdom.
- 2001 Two passenger planes hijacked by terrorists crash into New York's World Trade Towers causing the collapse of both and deaths of 2,752 people
- 2001 Terrorists hijack a passenger plane and crash it into the Pentagon causing the deaths of 125 people
- 2001 Attempt by passengers and crew of United Airlines Flight 93 to retake control of their hijacked plane from terrorists causes plane to crash in Pennsylvania field killing all 64 people on board
Benjamin Franklin writes "There never was a good war or bad peace"
On September 11, 1773