- 1741 George Frideric Handel finishes his "Messiah" oratorio after working on it non-stop for 23 days
- 1752 Britain (and American colonies) adopt the Gregorian calendar (no Sept 3-Sept 13th)
- 1812 Napoleon occupies Moscow and the fires start, extinguished by the 19th
- 1939 World’s 1st practical helicopter, the VS-300 designed by Igor Sikorsky takes (tethered) flight in Stratford, Connecticut
- 1956 1st prefrontal lobotomy performed in Washington, D.C.
- 1960 Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi-Arabia & Venezuela form Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
Francis Scott Key inspired to write the poem "Defence of Fort M'Henry", later becomes lyrics of the "Star-Spangled Banner"
On September 14, 1814