- 1739 Turkey & Austria sign peace treaty-Austria cedes Belgrade to Turks
- 1811 British expeditionary army conquerors Dutch Indies
- 1812 Great Fire of Moscow burns out after 5 day, 75% of the city destroyed and 12,000 killed
- 1873 Government bond agent Jay Cooke & Co collapses, causing panic on Wall St, the start of the panic of 1873 and the Long depression
- 1914 Irish Home Rule bill receives Royal assent
- 1931 To create a pretext for the invasion of Manchuria, China, a railway explosion is faked by the Japanese.
- 1942 The order for 'extermination asocials through labour' is approved by Otto Thierack, Nazi minister of justice
- 1976 Mao Zedong's funeral takes place in Beijing.
US President George Washington lays cornerstone of Capitol building
On September 18, 1793