- 1580 Frances Drake completes circumnavigation of the world, sailing into Plymouth aboard the Golden Hind
- 1687 Acropolis in Athens attacked by Venetian army trying to eject Turks, damaging the Parthenon
- 1687 The city council of Amsterdam votes to support William of Orange's invasion of England, which became the Glorious Revolution.
- 1815 Russia, Prussia & Austria sign the Holy Alliance
- 1983 Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov averts a worldwide nuclear war by judging supposed missile attack from the US an error
Cuban leader Fidel Castro delivers a 4 hrs, 29 minute speech at the UN
On September 26, 1960