- 1580 Frances Drake completes circumnavigation of the world, sailing into Plymouth aboard the Golden Hind
- 1687 Acropolis in Athens attacked by Venetian army trying to eject Turks, the Parthenon is subsequently damaged in the war.
- 1687 The city council of Amsterdam votes to support William of Orange's invasion of England, which became the Glorious Revolution.
- 1815 Russia, Prussia & Austria sign Holy Alliance
- 1941 Nazis slaughter about 34,000 Jews of Kiev
Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov averts a worldwide nuclear war by judging missile attack from the US an error.
On September 26, 1983