- 935 Saint Wenceslas is murdered by his brother, Boleslaus I of Bohemia.
- 1066 William the Conqueror invades England landing at Pevensey Bay, Sussex
- 1781 9,000 American and 7,000 French troops begin siege of Yorktown
- 1887 Yellow River or Huáng Hé floods in China, killing an estimated 1.5 million people
- 1939 German-Soviet Frontier Treaty is signed by Joachim von Ribbentrop and Vyacheslav Molotov; redraws German and Soviet spheres of influence in central Europe and transfers most of Lithuania to the USSR
The first General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) defines the length of a meter as the distance between two lines on a standard bar of an alloy of platinum with ten percent iridium, measured at the melting point of ice.
On September 28th, 1889