- 301 San Marino, one of the smallest nations in the world and the world's oldest republic still in existence, is founded by Saint Marinus.
- 1777 Cooch's Bridge - Skirmish of American Revolutionary war in New Castle County, Delaware where the Flag of the United States was flown in battle for the first time.
- 1783 Treaty of Paris signed in Paris ends the American Revolutionary War between Great Britain and United States of America
- 1900 With a proclamation by General Lord Roberts, Britain annexes the Boer Republic of South Africa
- 1939 WWII: Britain declares war on Germany after invasion of Poland. France follows 6 hours later quickly joined by Australia, New Zealand, South Africa & Canada
- 1950 1st Formula One WDC: Giuseppe "Nino" Farina wins by three points
- 1988 Estimated by this date 50,000 Kurdish civilians and soldiers killed by Iraq, many using chemical weapons, in aftermath of Iran-Iraq War
Britain and the British Empire (including the American colonies) adopt the Gregorian Calendar, losing 11 days. People riot thinking the government stole 11 days of their lives
On September 3rd, 1752