- 476 Romulus Augustulus, last Western Roman Emperor, abdicates after forces led by Odoacer invade Rome. Traditional end of the Western Roman Empire
- 1609 Navigator Henry Hudson first European to discover island of Manhattan [or Sep 11]
- 1682 English astronomer Edmund Halley observes the comet named after him
- 1781 Los Angeles is founded by 44 Spanish speaking mestizos in the Bahia de las Fumas (Bay of Smokes)
- 1862 General Lee invades the North with 50,000 Confederate troops during US Civil war
- 1956 IBM RAMAC 305 is introduced, the first commercial computer that uses magnetic disk storage
George Eastman patents 1st roll-film camera & registers "Kodak"
On September 4, 1888