- 1666 Great Fire of London ends, leaving 13,200 houses destroyed and 8 dead
- 1774 Twelve of the thirteen American colonies adopt a trade embargo with Britain at the first Continental Congress at Carpenters' Hall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 1839 The First Opium War begins in China
- 1914 World War I: Battle of Marne begins, French and British forces prevent German advance on Paris (till the 12th Sept)
- 1972 11 Israeli athletes taken hostage and later killed by Palestinian Black September group at the Munich Olympics
German Christine Hardt patents the first modern brassiere
On September 5, 1889