Aug 12 Self-proclaimed Emperor Joshua Abraham Norton of the USA issues edict abolishing the Democratic and Republican parties
- Aug 15 The Meiji government in Japan establishes six new ministries, including one for Shinto.
- Aug 16 Battle of Acosta Ñu: A Paraguay battalion made up of children is massacred by the Brazilian Army during the War of the Triple Alliance.
- Aug 17 1st international boat race (River Thames, Oxford beats Harvard)
- Aug 23 1st carload of freight (boots & shoes) arrives in SF, from Boston
- Aug 24 Cornelius Swarthout patents stove-top waffle iron