- Mauthausen Concentration camp in Austria liberated by US forces from 41st Reconnaissance Squadron.
- Netherlands & Denmark liberated from Nazi control
- Premier Gerbrandy on Radio Orange tells Dutch they are liberated
- Uprising against occupying SS troops in Prague
World War II: Admiral Karl Dönitz, leader of Germany after Hitler's death, orders all U-boats to cease offensive operations and return to their bases.
- Kurt Loder, Entertainment reporter
- Elsie Mitchell and five Sunday school students become the only people to die during World War II on US soil when they are killed by a Japanese fire balloon that lands in the forest of Gearhart Mountain, near Bly, Southern Oregon
- Peter Van Pels, Jewish Refugee (b. 1926)