Full Name: Abraham Lincoln
Profession: US President
Political Party: Republican
Political Titles: Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Illinois's 7th district, Member of the Illinois House of Representatives
Why Famous: Led the United States through the American Civil War and abolished slavery.
Biography: Abraham Lincoln was the 16th President of the United States, serving from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through its greatest constitutional, military, and moral crisis—the American Civil War—preserving the Union, abolishing slavery, strengthening the national government and modernizing the economy. Reared in a poor family on the western frontier, Lincoln was self-educated, and became a country lawyer, a Whig Party leader, Illinois state legislator during the 1830s, and a one-term member of the United States House of Representatives during the 1840s. (Wikipedia)
- 1842-11-04 U.S. first lady Mary Todd Lincoln (23) weds US president Abraham Lincoln (33) in Springfield, Illinois
- 1849-03-10 Abraham Lincoln applies for a patent (only US president to do so) for a device to lift a boat over shoals and obstructions
- 1849-05-22 Abraham Lincoln receives a patent (only US president to do so) for a device to lift a boat over shoals and obstructions
- 1854-10-04 Abraham Lincoln made his 1st political speech at Illinois State Fair
- 1858-06-16 Abraham Lincoln says "A house divided against itself cannot stand" accepting Illinois Republican Party's nomination for the Senate
- 1858-09-08 Abraham Lincoln supposedly says in a speech "You may fool all the people some of the time; you can even fool some of the people all the time; but you can’t fool all of the people all the time"
- 1860-02-27 Abraham Lincoln makes a speech at Cooper Union in the city of New York that is largely responsible for his election to the Presidency.
- 1860-05-16 -18] Chicago: Republican convention selects Abraham Lincoln as candidate
- 1860-05-18 Republican Party nominates Abraham Lincoln for president
- 1860-11-06 Abraham Lincoln (Rep-R-Ill) elected 16th American President
- 1861-01-01 President-elect of the United States Abraham Lincoln declares slavery in Confederate states unlawful (US Civil War)
- 1861-02-13 Abraham Lincoln declared US president in Washington, D.C.
- 1861-03-04 Abraham Lincoln is inaugurated as 16th US President
- 1861-04-27 US President Abraham Lincoln suspends writ of habeas corpus (US Civil War)
- 1861-08-15 Abraham Lincoln orders reinforcements be sent to Missouri
- 1861-08-16 President Abraham Lincoln prohibits Union states from trading with Confederacy
- 1862-02-25 Paper currency (greenbacks) introduced in US by Pres Abraham Lincoln
- 1862-08-14 Abraham Lincoln receives the first group of African Americans to confer with a US president
- 1863-03-03 Abraham Lincoln approves charter for National Academy of Sciences
- 1863-12-08 Abraham Lincoln issues his Amnesty Proclamation and plan for Reconstruction of the South
- 1864-06-07 Abraham Lincoln renominated for US President by Republican Party
- 1864-11-08 Abraham Lincoln (R) elected to his 2nd term as American President
- 1865-03-03 US Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, & Abandoned Lands established by Abraham Lincoln to help destitute free blacks
- 1865-03-04 Abraham Lincoln inaugurated for his 2nd term as US president
- 1865-04-11 Abraham Lincoln urges a spirit of generous conciliation during reconstruction
- 1865-04-14 US President Abraham Lincoln is shot by John Wilkes Booth at Ford's Theater in Washington
- 1865-04-15 Abraham Lincoln dies 9 hours after he is shot attending the play "Our American Cousin" at Ford's Theatre in Washington
- 1865-04-21 Abraham Lincoln's funeral train leaves Washington
- 1887-04-10 President Abraham Lincoln's re-buried with his wife in Springfield, Ilinois
- 2015-09-24 Pope Francis becomes the 1st pope to address the US Congress. Names Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Thomas Merton and Dorothy Day as his American heroes.