Full Name: Abraham Lincoln
Profession: US President
Political Party: Republican
Political Titles: Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Illinois's 7th district, Member of the Illinois House of Representatives
Why Famous: Regularly regarded as one of the great American presidents, Abraham Lincoln became president in 1861, amid a crisis over slavery in the Union. Shortly after his election, seven Southern states seceded and formed the Confederate States, beginning the American Civil War.
An incredibly astute politician, Lincoln outmaneuvered several political enemies in his time. His oratory and writing appealed to the American people, particularly his Gettysburg Address, which became an iconic endorsement of democracy and republicanism.
As the war came to an end Lincoln made several moves to abolish slavery. In 1863 he issued the Emancipation Proclamation which made more than 3 million slaves free. In early 1865 he pushed Congress to pass the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution which permanently ended slavery. Shortly before the end of the conflict, John Wilkes Booth assassinated Lincoln as he watched a play at Ford's Theater in Washington, D.C.
Lincoln's actions preserved the Union and pulled the United States through it's greatest political, military and moral crisis.
Biography: Abraham Lincoln was the 16th President of the United States, serving from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through its greatest constitutional, military, and moral crisis—the American Civil War—preserving the Union, abolishing slavery, strengthening the national government and modernizing the economy. Reared in a poor family on the western frontier, Lincoln was self-educated, and became a country lawyer, a Whig Party leader, Illinois state legislator during the 1830s, and a one-term member of the United States House of Representatives during the 1840s. (Wikipedia)
- 1842-11-04 U.S. first lady Mary Todd Lincoln (23) weds US president Abraham Lincoln (33) in Springfield, Illinois
- 1849-03-10 Abraham Lincoln applies for a patent (only US president to do so) for a device to lift a boat over shoals and obstructions
- 1849-05-22 Abraham Lincoln receives a patent (only US president to do so) for a device to lift a boat over shoals and obstructions
- 1854-10-04 Abraham Lincoln made his 1st political speech at Illinois State Fair
- 1858-06-16 Abraham Lincoln says "A house divided against itself cannot stand" accepting Illinois Republican Party's nomination for the Senate
- 1858-09-08 Abraham Lincoln supposedly says in a speech "You may fool all the people some of the time; you can even fool some of the people all the time; but you can’t fool all of the people all the time"
- 1860-02-27 Abraham Lincoln makes a speech at Cooper Union in the city of New York that is largely responsible for his election to the Presidency.
- 1860-05-16 -18] Chicago: Republican convention selects Abraham Lincoln as candidate
- 1860-05-18 Republican Party nominates Abraham Lincoln for president
- 1860-10-15 11-year-old Grace Bedell writes to Abraham Lincoln telling him to grow a beard
- 1860-11-06 Abraham Lincoln (Rep-R-Ill) elected 16th American President
- 1861-01-01 President-elect of the United States Abraham Lincoln declares slavery in Confederate states unlawful (US Civil War)
- 1861-02-11 US President-elect Abraham Lincoln takes train from Spingfield IL to Washington, D.C.
- 1861-02-13 Abraham Lincoln declared US President in Washington, D.C.
- 1861-03-04 Abraham Lincoln is inaugurated as the 16th US President
- 1861-03-04 US President Abraham Lincoln opens Government Printing Office
- 1861-04-15 Federal army (75,000 volunteers) mobilized by US President Abraham Lincoln (US Civil War)
- 1861-04-16 US President Abraham Lincoln outlaws business with confederate states (US Civil War)
- 1861-04-27 US President Abraham Lincoln suspends writ of habeas corpus (US Civil War)
- 1861-04-30 US President Abraham Lincoln ordered Federal Troops to evacuate Indian Territory (US Civil War)
- 1861-08-15 Abraham Lincoln orders reinforcements be sent to Missouri
- 1861-08-16 US President Abraham Lincoln prohibits Union states from trading with Confederacy
- 1862-02-25 Paper currency (greenbacks) introduced in US by President Abraham Lincoln
- 1862-08-14 Abraham Lincoln receives the first group of African Americans to confer with a US president
- 1862-09-22 US President Abraham Lincoln says he will free slaves in all states on Jan 1
- 1862-12-06 US President Abraham Lincoln orders hanging of 39 Santee Sioux Indians
- 1862-12-31 President Abraham Lincoln signs act admitting West Virginia to the Union
- 1863-01-01 Emancipation Proclamation issued by Abraham Lincoln to free slaves in US confederate states
- 1863-03-03 Abraham Lincoln approves charter for National Academy of Sciences
- 1863-07-30 President Abraham Lincoln issues "eye-for-eye" order to shoot a rebel prisoner for every black prisoner shot
- 1863-11-17 Abraham Lincoln begins 1st draft of his Gettysburg Address
- 1863-11-19 US President Abraham Lincoln delivers his Gettysburg address beginning; "Four score & seven years ago..."
- 1863-12-08 Abraham Lincoln issues his Amnesty Proclamation and plan for Reconstruction of the South
- 1864-06-07 Abraham Lincoln renominated for US President by Republican Party
- 1864-07-18 US President Abraham Lincoln asks for 500,000 volunteers for military service
- 1864-10-20 US President Abraham Lincoln formally establishes Thanksgiving as a national holiday
- 1864-11-08 Abraham Lincoln (R) elected to his 2nd term as American President
- 1865-03-03 US Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, & Abandoned Lands established by Abraham Lincoln to help destitute free blacks
- 1865-03-04 Abraham Lincoln inaugurated for his 2nd term as US president
- 1865-03-06 US President Abraham Lincoln's 2nd Inaugural Ball
- 1865-04-11 Abraham Lincoln urges a spirit of generous conciliation during reconstruction
- 1865-04-14 US President Abraham Lincoln is shot by John Wilkes Booth at Ford's Theater in Washington
- 1865-04-15 Abraham Lincoln dies 9 hours after he is shot attending the play "Our American Cousin" at Ford's Theatre in Washington
- 1865-04-21 Abraham Lincoln's funeral train leaves Washington
- 1887-04-10 US President Abraham Lincoln's re-buried with his wife in Springfield, Ilinois
- 2015-09-24 Pope Francis becomes the 1st pope to address the US Congress. Names Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Thomas Merton and Dorothy Day as his American heroes.
- Abraham Lincoln - Civil War Trust
- Abraham Lincoln (1809 – 1865) - Miller Center, University of Virginia