Full Name: Albert Einstein
Profession: Theoretical Physicist
Why Famous: A Jewish-born German, later naturalised as a US citizen, Einstein became the most influential physicist of the 20th century.
He developed his special theory of relativity in response to problems he saw with Newtonian mechanics. His mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2 has been called the "the world's most famous equation".
He was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1921 and later warned President Roosevelt of the dangers of bombs being developed, later protesting against their use as weapons.
- 1903-01-06 Theoretical Physicist Albert Einstein (23) weds Mileva Maric
- 1919-02-14 Theoretical Physicist Albert Einstein (39) divorces Mileva Maric after 16 years of marriage
- 1919-06-02 Theoretical Physicist Albert Einstein (40) weds his cousin Elsa Lowenthal (43)
- 1905-07-01 Albert Einstein introduces his theory of special relativity
- 1905-09-27 The physics journal Annalen der Physik publishes Albert Einstein's paper "Does the Inertia of a Body Depend Upon Its Energy Content?", introducing the equation E=mc².
- 1908-11-14 Albert Einstein presents his quantum theory of light
- 1919-05-29 Albert Einstein's light-bending prediction confirmed by Arthur Eddington
- 1921-04-02 Albert Einstein lectures in New York City on his new "Theory of Relativity"
- 1922-12-10 Nobel prizes awarded to Niels Bohr (Physics), Francis William Aston (Chemistry) and Fridtjof Nansen (Peace)
- 1923-07-29 Albert Einstein speaks on pacifism in Berlin
- 1930-11-11 Patent number US1781541 was awarded to Albert Einstein and Leó Szilárd for their invention, the Einstein refrigerator.
- 1932-12-05 German physicist Albert Einstein granted a visa to enter America
- 1933-10-17 Albert Einstein arrives in US as a refugee from Nazi Germany
- 1939-10-11 Albert Einstein informs FDR of the possibilities of an atomic bomb
- 1950-02-12 Albert Einstein warns against hydrogen bomb
- 1953-03-30 Albert Einstein announces revised unified field theory
- 1955-07-09 The Russell-Einstein Manifesto is released by Bertrand Russell in London.
- 1995-06-05 The Bose-Einstein condensate is first created.