Full Name: Alberto Fujimori
Profession: President of Peru
Why Famous: President of Peru from 28 July 1990 to 17 November 2000.
While some people credit his government with restoring Peru's macroeconomic stability, he was a very controversial figure. His presidency ended amid a major corruption scandal and allegations of human rights violations, forcing him to flee to Japan.
Fujimori was eventually arrested and convicted of human rights violations.
- 1990-07-28 Alberto Fujimori installed as President of Peru
- 1992-04-05 Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori suspends the constitution and dissolves Congress
- 2000-11-17 Alberto Fujimori is removed from office as President of Peru
- 2009-04-07 Former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori is sentenced to 25 years in prison for ordering killings and kidnappings by security forces
- 2016-04-06 Protests in Lima, Peru by 30,000 against presidential candidate Keiko Fujimori on 24th anniversary of her father Alberto Fujimori's coup