Full Name: Allen Ginsberg
Profession: Beat Poet
Why Famous: One of the leading figures of both the Beat Generation of the 1950s and the counterculture that soon would follow. He is best known for his epic poem "Howl", in which he denounced what he saw as the destructive forces of capitalism and conformity in the United States.
- 1955-03-25 United States Customs seizes copies of Allen Ginsberg's poem "Howl" as obscene.
- 1955-04-03 The American Civil Liberties Union announces it will defend Allen Ginsberg's book Howl against obscenity charges.
- 1955-10-07 Beat poet Allen Ginsberg reads his poem "Howl" for the first time at a poetry reading in San Francisco.
- 1957-10-03 Allen Ginsberg's Howl and Other Poems is ruled not obscene.
- 1959-06-02 Allen Ginsberg writes his poem "Lysergic Acid", SF
- 1967-12-05 Pediatrician Benjamin Spock and poet Allen Ginsberg arrested in New York while protesting against the Vietnam War