Full Name: Andrew Jackson
Profession: US President & General
Political Party: Democratic-Republican, Democra
Political Titles: Senator from Tennessee, 1st Territorial Governor of Florida, Member of the United States House of Representatives from Tennessee's At-Large District
Why Famous: Nicknamed 'Old Hickory' Jackson was the son of Irish immigrants and orphaned at the age of 14.
Jackson began his career as a lawyer in Tennessee, becoming a land speculator and was one of the 3 founders of the city of Memphis in 1819.
As General of the Tennessee Militia he defeated the Red Sticks at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend in 1814 and the British in The Battle of New Orleans in 1815.
First nominated for the US Presidency in 1822, Jackson was elected in 1828 and served two terms.
His office was marked by his dismantling of the National Bank, the Nullification Crisis and the Indian Removal Act, which forcibly moved Native Indians to Indian territories.
- 1787-11-21 Andrew Jackson admitted to the bar
- 1806-05-30 Andrew Jackson kills Charles Dickinson in a duel after Dickinson had accused Jackson's wife of bigamy.
- 1814-03-27 Battle at Horseshoe Bend: General Andrew Jackson defeats the Red Sticks, part of the Creek Indian tribe near Dadeville, Alabama
- 1818-04-07 General Andrew Jackson conquers St Marks Fla from Seminole indians
- 1818-05-24 General Andrew Jackson captures Pensacola Florida
- 1824-07-24 Harrisburg Pennsylvanian newspaper publishes results of 1st public opinion poll, with a clear lead for Andrew Jackson
- 1824-11-02 Popular presidential vote 1st recorded; Andrew Jackson beats J Q Adams
- 1824-12-01 US House of Representatives begins to decide outcome of election deadlock between John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson (Adams wins)
- 1828-12-03 Andrew Jackson elected 7th US President
- 1829-03-04 Andrew Jackson inaugurated as 7th US President
- 1832-12-05 Andrew Jackson re-elected President of US
- 1835-01-30 Richard Lawrence misfires at President Andrew Jackson in Washington, D.C. in 1st attempted assassination of a US President
- 1836-07-01 US President Andrew Jackson announces to Congress bequest by James Smithson of 100,000 gold sovereigns to found institution in Washington.
- 1837-03-03 US President Andrew Jackson & Congress recognizes Republic of Texas