Full Name: Aung San Suu Kyi
Profession: Burmese Politician
Why Famous: Burmese opposition politician and chairperson of the National League for Democracy (NLD) in Burma.
Despite being detained under house arrest before the 1990 general election, the NLD won 59% of the national votes and 81% (392 of 485) of the seats in Parliament.
She would under house arrest in Burma for almost 15 of the 21 years from 20 July 1989 until her most recent release on 13 November 2010, becoming one of the world's most prominent political prisoners and activists.
She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991.
- 1972-01-01 Politician Aung San Suu Kyi (26) weds author Michael Aris (25)
- 1988-09-27 The National League for Democracy, led by Aung San Suu Kyi is founded in Burma (Myanmar)
- 1989-07-20 Burma government puts author Aung San Suu Kyi under house arrest
- 1991-10-14 Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi wins Nobel Peace Prize
- 1994-09-24 National League for Democracy is formed by Aung San Suu Kyi and various others to help fight against dictatorship in Myanmar
- 2013-03-10 Aung San Suu Kyi is re-elected leader of the Burmese National League for Democracy