Full Name: Ayatollah Khomeini [Ruhollah Khomeini]
Profession: Supreme Leader of Iran
Why Famous: Iranian religious leader, revolutionary, politician and leader of the 1979 Iranian Revolution which saw the overthrow of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, the then Shah of Iran.
- 1963-06-05 State of siege proclaimed in Iran, Ayatollah Khomeini arrested
- 1974-04-01 Ayatollah Khomeini calls for an Islamic Republic in Iran
- 1978-09-08 Iranian army fires on Khomeini followers in Tehran, 100s killed
- 1978-09-09 Iraqi Ayatollah Khomeini calls for uprising in Irani army
- 1978-10-06 Iraq declares Ayatollah Khomeini an undesirable person
- 1978-11-05 Khomeini followers attack British embassy/El Al office in Iran
- 1979-01-20 1 million Iranians march in Tehran in a show of support for the exiled Ayatollah Khomeini, fundamentalist Muslim leader
- 1979-02-01 Ayatollah Khomeini returns to Iran after 15 years in exile
- 1979-02-11 Iran's premier Bakhtiar resigns, Ayatollah Khomeini seizes power
- 1979-08-18 Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini demands Saint War against Kurds
- 1979-10-18 Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini orders mass executions to stop
- 1979-11-05 Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini declares US "The Great Satan"
- 1979-11-06 Ayatollah Khomeini takes over in Iran
- 1979-11-17 Ayatollah Khomeini frees most black & female US hostages
- 1979-11-18 Ayatollah Khomeini charges US ambassador/embassy espionage
- 1982-04-24 150 Khomeini followers assault student dormitory in West Germany
- 1989-02-14 Ayatollah Khomeini orders Muslims to murder "Satanic Verses" novelist Rushdie
- 1989-02-24 Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini offers a $1-3M bounty on Salman Rushdie's death due to his novel, "Satanic Verses"