Full Name: Benedict XVI [Joseph Ratzinger]
Profession: 265th Pope
Why Famous: Elected Pope in 2005, Benedict was previously a theologian with a long academic career. Appointed Cardinal in 1977 he became Dean of the College of Cardinals in 2002 and known for his strict adherence to Catholic doctrine. As Pope he spoke against clerical sexual abuse and addressed the 1st Catholic-Muslim forum. Announced his decision in 2013 to resign, the 1st Pope since 1415 to do so.
- 2005-04-19 Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger elected Pope Benedict XVI on the second day of the Papal conclave.
- 2005-04-24 Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger is inaugurated as the 265th Pope of the Roman Catholic Church taking the name Pope Benedict XVI.
- 2005-05-14 Pope Benedict XVI observes his first beatification, elevating Blessed Marianne of Molokai on the road to canonization into sainthood.
- 2006-03-24 Pope Benedict XVI adds 15 men to the College of Cardinals, in the first consistory of his Pontificate.
- 2007-05-11 Pope Benedict XVI canonizes the first Brazilian-born saint, Frei Galvão.
- 2007-07-07 Pope Benedict XVI issues the Apostolic Letter Summorum Pontificum, removing restrictions on celebrating the old Tridentine Mass.
- 2007-09-14 Restrictions on the traditional Latin Mass are officially removed in the Roman Catholic Church as Pope Benedict XVI's motu proprio Summorum Pontificum takes effect.
- 2008-04-16 Start of Papal Journey of Pope Benedict XVI to the United States
- 2009-01-24 Pope Benedict XVI rescinds the excommunications of four bishops consecrated without papal consent in 1988 by Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre.
- 2011-05-01 Pope John Paul II is beatified by his successor, Pope Benedict XVI.
- 2012-04-08 Pope Benedict XVI calls for an end to Syrian blood shed in papal Easter message
- 2012-05-26 Pope Benedict XVI's butler is arrested for allegedly leaking confidential documents
- 2012-10-06 Paolo Gabriele, Pope Benedict XVI's butler, is found guilty of leaking confidential documents and is sentenced to 18 months imprisonment
- 2013-02-11 Pope Benedict XVI announces his resignation from February 28, the first pope to resign since 1415
- 2013-02-27 Pope Benedict XVI presents his farewell address to Vatican City
- 2013-03-04 The Papal Conclave begins to select the successor of Pope Benedict XVI