Full Name: Benjamin Franklin
Profession: United States Founding Father
Why Famous: US Founding Father Benjamin Franklin worked his way up from working class origins to prominence as a writer and publisher of newspapers before becoming a voice for American interests in Europe and Ambassador to France.
He one of the Committee of Five that drafted the US Declaration of Independence and became the US's first Postmaster General in 1776.
An abolitionist toward the end of this life, he freed his two slaves.
As a scientist and inventor Franklin conducted famous electricity experiments, invented the lightening rod, bifocals and the Franklin stove.
- 1730-09-01 US Founding Father Benjamin Franklin establishes a common-law marriage with Deborah Read
- 1725-01-04 Benjamin Franklin arrives in London [OS=Dec 24 1724]
- 1726-07-23 Benjamin Franklin sails back to Philadelphia
- 1726-10-11 Benjamin Franklin returns to Philadelphia from England
- 1731-11-08 In Philadelphia, Benjamin Franklin opens 1st library in the north American colonies
- 1732-12-19 Benjamin Franklin under the name Richard Saunders begins publication of "Poor Richard's Almanack"
- 1741-02-16 Benjamin Franklin's General Magazine begins publishing
- 1742-06-11 Benjamin Franklin invents his Franklin stove
- 1752-05-10 Benjamin Franklin tests the lightning conductor with his kite-flying experiment
- 1753-11-30 Benjamin Franklin receives the Godfrey Copley medal "on account of his curious Experiments and Observations on Electricity"
- 1773-09-11 Benjamin Franklin writes "There never was a good war or bad peace"
- 1775-07-26 US Continental Congress creates United States Post Office (U.S.P.O.) in Philadelphia under Benjamin Franklin
- 1776-06-11 Continental Congress creates committee (Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman, and Robert R. Livingston) to draft a Declaration of Independence
- 1776-10-26 Benjamin Franklin departs for France on a mission to seek French support for the American Revolution
- 1784-01-26 Benjamin Franklin expresses unhappiness over eagle as America's symbol
- 1785-05-23 Benjamin Franklin announces his invention of bifocals