Full Name: Bernard Montgomery
Profession: British WWII Field Marshal
Why Famous: Monty was appointed to lead the British 8th Army in North Africa in 1942 and won the pivotal Battle of Al Alamein.
He subsequently commanded the 8th Army in Sicily and Italy before being planning the D-Day invasion in Normandy.
He was in command of all Allied ground forces during Operation Overlord from the initial landings until after the Battle of Normandy.
- 1927-07-27 British Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery (39) weds Elizabeth Carver in Chiswick, England
- 1939-08-28 Gen Bernard Montgomery ("Monty") becomes commander of 3rd "Iron" Infantry division
- 1940-05-31 Major General Bernard Montgomery leaves Dunkirk
- 1940-06-01 Major General Bernard Montgomery returns to London
- 1940-07-02 British PM Churchill meets Major General Bernard Montgomery
- 1942-08-10 General Bernard Montgomery appointed commander British 8th Army in North Africa
- 1942-08-12 Lt General Bernard Montgomery arrives in Cairo
- 1943-12-23 Gen Bernard Montgomery told he is appointed commandant for D-day
- 1946-05-01 Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery appointed British supreme commander