Full Name: Bhumibol Adulyadej
Profession: King of Thailand
Why Famous: Bhumibol Adulyadej ascended the throne of Thailand aged 18 in 1946 in mysterious circumstances after the death of his brother King Ananda Mahido in an accident.
Bhumibol Adulyadej revived the monarchy in Thailand and has enjoyed enormous popularity throughout his reign.
The King has played a significant role in Thai politics, most notably during the 1993 "Black May" crisis culminating in a TV broadcast where he instructed the Generals Suchinda and Chamlong to work together. The King made another televised appeal during the 2006 coup.
In 2006 Bhumibol Adulyadej celebrated 60 years on the throne. He is currently the longest ruling Thai monarch and the world's current longest serving head of state.
- 1950-04-28 King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand marries Mon Rajawongse Sirikit at Sra Pathum Palace after a quiet engagement in Lausanne, Switzerland July 19, 1949.
- 1946-06-09 Bhumibol Adulyadej becomes King of Thailand after the death of his brother King Ananda Mahidol
- 1950-05-05 Bhumibol Adulyadej crowned King Rama IX of Thailand in the Royal Palace in Bangkok
- 1992-05-20 At height of "Black May' political crisis in Thailand TV interview broadcast of King Bhumibol Adulyadej demanding Generals Suchinda and Chamlong work together.
- 2006-06-09 King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thialand celebrates the 1st of 3 national holidays to commemorate his 60 years on the throne.