Full Name: Bill Gates [William Henry Gates]
Profession: Microsoft Founder
Why Famous: Gates co-founded Microsoft in 1975 along with Paul Allen. They developed BASIC then later MS-DOS for IBM before launching Microsoft Windows in 1995. Windows went on to become the most dominate personal computer operating system, with Microsoft using at times controversial anticompetitive tactics. Gates, now one of the richest men in the world, established in 2000 the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for Philanthropic purposes.
- 1994-01-01 Microsoft CEO Bill Gates (38) marries Melinda French (29)
- 1975-04-04 Microsoft is founded as a partnership between Bill Gates and Paul Allen to develop and sell BASIC interpreters for the Altair 8800
- 1994-11-11 Bill Gates buys Leonardo da Vinci's "Codex" for $30,800,000
- 1995-07-17 Forbes Mag announces Bill Gates is the richest man in world ($12.9B)
- 1998-02-04 Bill Gates gets a pie thrown in his face in Brussels, Belgium
- 1998-03-03 Bill Gates testifies at Senate Judiciary Committee
- 2000-01-13 Microsoft chairman Bill Gates steps aside as chief executive and promotes company president Steve Ballmer to the position
- 2008-06-27 Bill Gates steps down as Chairman of Microsoft Corporation to work full time for the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- 2013-05-16 Bill Gates becomes the world's richest man with $72.7 billion again after losing the position in 2008
- 2016-03-01 Forbes Richest List released, Bill Gates No. 1 with $75 billion, number of world's billionaires shrinks to 1,810