Full Name: Bing Crosby [Harry Lillis Crosby, Jr.]
Profession: Singer and Actor
Why Famous: One of the best-selling recording artists of the 20th century, with over half a billion records in circulation. Perhaps best known for his trademark bass-baritone voice.
Won an Academy Award for Best Actor for his role as Father Chuck O'Malley in the 1944 motion picture "Going My Way".
- 1930-09-29 Singer and actor Bing Crosby marries Dixie Lee
- 1942-05-29 Bing Crosby records "White Christmas", greatest selling record to date
- 1942-06-08 Bing Crosby records "Silent Night"
- 1944-02-07 Bing Crosby records "Swinging on a Star" for Decca Records
- 1944-05-03 "Going My Way", directed by Leo McCary and starring Bing Crosby premieres in New York (Best Picture 1945)
- 1945-03-15 17th Academy Awards: "Going My Way", Bing Crosby & Ingrid Bergman win
- 1957-01-10 Baseball Commissioner Ford Frick rules Bing Crosby can keep token stock in the Det Tigers, even though he owns part of Pittsburgh Pirates
- 1970-09-15 Decca awards Bing Crosby a 2nd platinum disc for selling 300 million