Full Name: Bob Dylan [Robert Zimmerman]
Why Famous: An influential American singer-songwriter who began as a folk singer associated with the protest movements of the 1960s with folk songs "Blowin' in the Wind" and "Times They Are a-Changin".
By 1965 Dylan had moved toward pop music "Like a Rolling Stone" but went on to explore many musical styles including country and gospel music. His song-writing is innovative for being introspective and personal and his songs have been widely covered by other musicians.
- 1965-11-22 Bob Dylan weds Sara Lowndes
- 1986-06-04 Legendary singer Bob Dylan (45) weds his backup singer Carolyn Dennis (32)
- 1961-04-11 Bob Dylan makes his 1st appearance at Folk City, Greenwich Village
- 1961-07-29 Bob Dylan injured in car accident
- 1961-09-29 Bob Dylan's 1st recording session-backup harmonica for Caroline Hester
- 1962-09-22 Bob Dylan plays NYC Carnegie Hall
- 1963-05-12 Bob Dylan walks out of the "Ed Sullivan Show"
- 1964-06-19 Bob Dylan completes UK tour
- 1965-06-15 Bob Dylan records "Like a Rolling Stone"
- 1965-07-24 Bob Dylan release "Like a Rolling Stone"
- 1965-08-28 Bob Dylan booed for playing electric guiter at a concert in New York's Forest Hills
- 1966-07-29 Bob Dylan hurt in motorcycle accident near Woodstock NY
- 1969-02-17 Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash record an album; it was never released.
- 1969-06-07 Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash combine on a Grand Ole Opry TV special
- 1969-08-02 Bob Dylan makes surprise appearance at Hibbing HS Minn 10th reunion
- 1970-06-09 Bob Dylan given honorary Doctorate of Music at Princeton University
- 1974-09-16 Bob Dylan records Blood on the Tracks
- 1978-07-25 Bob Dylan booed off Newport Folk Festival for using electric guitar
- 1979-10-20 Bob Dylan appears on "Saturday Night Live"
- 1997-05-28 Bob Dylan hospitalized in England with histoplasmosis
- 2004-06-23 Bob Dylan accepts honorary doctorate of music degree from the University of St Andrews, Scotland's oldest university